So, I'm going out on a limb here. I may be catapulting this blog into the scandalous zone, but I have just got to put this out there. Here it goes, I think Teacher's Appreciation week is lame. There I said it.
Every year this week sneaks up on me. I'm cruising along, getting excited for summer and warm weather and then out of nowhere comes this crazy tradition. Don't get me wrong. I love teachers! I think they are amazing, awesome people who do a job I could never do. They are, for the most part, kind, creative, inspiring and well deserving of appreciation. But, come on, 5 whole days of appreciation? I have managed to sneak by this school year and not be room mom for any of my children's classes, so I really don't have much reason to complain. I know of Room Moms out there, you know who you are, who are madly baking, crafting, scheming, and dreaming up all kinds of activities to honor their children's teachers this week. I am personally just going to pat myself on the back for bagging an awesome deal on charm necklaces for three teachers and for coming up with a smokin' spreadsheet to keep straight which one of my children is supposed to bring a flower, a gift card, cookies, a handwritten note, "starfish decor" and fruit or veggies on any given day this week. (Yes those things are all on the list.)
Maybe I wouldn't be so ticked off if this week landed at any other time of the school year. There's just something that really stings when teachers get a whole week to be honored and then we Mothers get one day. Where's the justice?
P.S. I really do love you Miss Ann, Ms.Chambrone, and Mrs. Moore. Really.
And, I'm stepping off my soapbox now...
12 comments:
Whew! It was only a day when my older kids were in school. A whole week seems a little extreme. Thanks for giving me something to add to my list of reasons I'm glad we homeschool.
I am so glad I am not the only one who feels this way. And yes, I am room mom and yes, I am running around with my head cut off. It is so not right that so much time is spent on decorating a stinkin' classroom door. So wrong, in so many ways.
Ahhhh, that felt good to get off my chest. :) Thank you Laura for giving me the place to do it. :)
Guess what is even worse?? I don't do anything for the kids teachers. Maybe the kids can write a note or something. I guess I'll use the pregnancy as my excuse this year. I wonder what my excuse was the past 5 years. HA HA!
Wow. A week? Really? That is just ridiculous. I think at my kids' school they maybe announce over the pa system to thank the teachers. And you know what? THAT'S IT. They don't do anything for the teachers, no door decorating, no activities, no parties, no gifts, no nothin'. I'm so glad they don't do what your kids' school does. That is just crazy. And yes, teachers do a job that most of us couldn't or wouldn't, but a whole week? Come on. That's crazy. I think we should have a whole week of mom appreciation instead. ;)
An entire week? Holy cow...
(by the way, my word verification is "sucke" which seems...appropriate!)
I don't mean to be the wet-blanket
on this issue...
but with all except one of my kids having finished mandatory government run schooling, it's left a bad taste in my mouth.
There must be some teachers out there that give a crap about their
students, but I haven't found very many.
It would stick in my craw to spend
a week honoring the teachers that have worked hard to do the bare minimum at elevating all students to a mediocre level of education.
I agree... it especially seems like there is a lot at the end of the year. It has been so long since I checked out what you are up to! I love the post below a few... with the picture of Abby... her blue eyes and freckles are so cute! Priceless!
You are such a pot stirrer you! OK, you know I totally agree with you on ths one. I actually wouldn't mind honoring them for the week, if they just said, Hey, it's teacher appreciation week, do whatever you want, whenever you want to, then I would probably figure something out one day, drag a cute note in, blah, blah, and I also love all the teachers that are involved with my kids (Julia is out on the other side of the country - I guess they don't care about kids over there, ha ha ha) I think the only way my kids would get a worse teacher would be if I decided to home school, but then could make it teacher appreciation day all year long..... :)
AMEN!
You go girl!!! Seriously, the list of what they want us to bring in for teachers is ... CRAZY! This year they wanted all the kids to bring in their favorite (get this) watermelon recipe. HUH?! Then they want all the kids to bring in a fruit. Really??? 20 pieces of fruit that are going to spoil before this poor lady eats it all. LAME!
I love the kids' teachers this year. Support their styles and am grateful for their work. Still, not so thrilled with the lame ideas that we're being told to show our appreciation.
I was just having this conversation! Seriously, I had to map out the week to be sure all three of my kids have all the appropriate stuff on the right day. Already failed there, Bryce was supposed to wear Red on Monday and he didn't :( I love my kids teachers as well, but this whole week thing has got to GO!!
haha, you guys are all so funny! I'm pretty sure they chose this time of year to keep the teachers out of jail. This time of year is when the teachers are ready to throttle all the children because the kids go crazy because they are so excited for school to be done and everyone is breathing a sigh of relief since testing just ended. Everyone has spring fever.
I do agree...down with the fruit basket!
Post a Comment