Mark perfects his elaborate "batting garage" set-up.
James is six games into his first little league season and he has yet to make one hit, in practice or at a game. No hits. Period. This is starting to weigh heavy on everyone involved. James offers the excuse that he is afraid of the vibration that the bat makes when the ball hits it so he intentionally swings late. The conversation goes something like this...
Mom: James, what do you want as a reward if you hit the ball?
James: I want a Lego Star Wars NTT Troop Carrier!
Mom: Fine, hit the ball right now and I'll go buy you one."
James: But, it costs one hundred dollars!!
Mom: No problem for me, hit the ball and it's yours. (in hindsight, this is the part where I messed up....learn from me here)
James: Coooooool! Ok, I'll do it!
Mark pitches the ball and on the third try, he finally hits the ball.
Lucky for me, James changed his mind once we got to the store and he went for the Indiana Jones Lego set, even more cool.(and $40 less...)
James proceeded to hit 24 balls that night and then fast forward to Tuesday night's game.....

Struck out three times.
What's the life lesson here?
Keep trying? Persevere? Never never give up?
How about, save the big bribe for game day.
(gotta love that kid though, he spent an hour and a half assembling the 584 piece set and he was so thrilled with it..)
6 comments:
I am dying from laughter!!! At least now you know he CAN in fact do it. Man you guys are good parents. I personally would have found some sort of loophole of why I didn't have to buy it for him!
OK, hilarious story telling ability and a good lesson to be learned :) at least now you know he CAN hit it.. any chance you are going to have any of his games in your garage?
i love it. don't worry- i used to have the same problem in soft ball. turns out, it wasn't my thing. i turned to cheerleading, instead. hopefully he goes after something like soccer. although male cheerleaders are very hot right now...
I hate to say it, but it just goes to show, don't sweat the small stuff.
The real trick is figuring
out what classifies as "small stuff".
You guys are great!
Keep it up!
Love, Julia
Best wishes to James next time!
I love it! I saw Mark last night at Golden Spoon with James, they looked so cute in their baseball get ups. He told me to check out the blog when we discussed the trouble of being a competitive dad (I am married to one too!)
Post a Comment