Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Only the Nose Knows

It all started with a bicycle, a curb, and a perfect nose. They all came together and it wasn't pretty. David's nose took the brunt of the injury. I was in Connecticut at the time so all I got to see was a photo text of the injury. (Excellent picture by the way Michelle!) Last week we paid a visit to a special nose doctor. (That's how we described him to the kids after their confusion over the official title of Otolaryngologist.) He recommended a closed reduction for David's nasal fracture. The procedure was scheduled for 1:40pm today. David was not allowed to eat anything from bedtime last night. He actually did really well. (Better than I would have done!) He drank clear fluids and sucked on popsicles all morning. He really wanted to bring James along with him, but we insisted that it would be better if he stayed home with Abby. We compromised by taking lots of pictures of the experience so David could show everything to his big bro.

 
This is the part where they hooked David up E.T. style to the monitors.

 
Of course, he had to change out of his everyday uniform into hospital jammies. He was too "shy" for me to take a picture right away in his new outfit so he suggested I take a shot of the very cool bag with his regular clothes in it.

 
You'll have to use your imagination for the next part, which entailed 90 minutes of waiting in a crowded waiting room/play room with suspicious toddler toys. David was experiencing major anxiety as the time went on. When they finally called us back 15 minutes before our appointed time he started to lose it. We visited with the doctors, and after all that.... they sent us away~! Apparently, his nose has healed perfectly and the doctor said there was no way she could fix it any better than it already was. All along I have thought it looked ok, but the other doctor had said he felt a bump and if nothing was done it could grow more crooked as he aged. I guess in the week between when that doctor evaluated him and today, that bump and any crook has resolved itself. Needless to say, David was thrilled! And, I was emotionally drained for the day.
Definitely warranted a trip to Mickey D's.

 
Posted by Picasa
Morale of the story: Don't mess with Perfection.

13 comments:

Tina said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of stress...but I guess the outcome was better than expected. So that's a good thing! At least David got to wear a cool gown (ha!) and go to McD's!

diane said...

That is a lot of drama for one day. I hate seeing my kids go under anesthesia. It is so freaky. I'm glad you got to avoid that.
He is such a handsome guy.

The Family Rasheed said...

I am with Diane, way too much drama! I am glad he is ok and surgery wasn't needed!

Jen said...

Sounds like quite the experience. I am glad it all turned out for the best!

ferntyler said...

Just a reminder that he was on public property at the time of the incident (ok, that was the last time I'll get to use the joke, so I had to try :)).. so glad he is alright, but in 20 years when he is complaining about his crooked nose, I will totally be your witness to the events

tawnya said...

Oh, man! Thank goodness it was ok!

Holly said...

Next time you see Nicholas, look at his nose. It's crooked from a similar incident. Good thing his glasses mask the severity of the asymmetry. I figured one day when he is rich and independent he can pay for his own plastic surgery and a psychologist; he'll certainly blame his parents, as suggested by the therapist, for the emotional suffering he endured having a crooked nose as a kid.

Kim W said...

Laura, can your kids get any cuter??? I love that final picture. I'm so glad all ended well. That's a lot of years of blaming Mark for his child care in your absence! Ha!

jessica said...

We're glad David is doing okay. There is something about hospitals and medical folk that suck the energy right out of a person. I was hoping for a pronunciation guide for Otolaryngologist though;)

Bryn said...

Which nose dr did he see? Magit? He's great! I am glad he did well. He totally earned Mickey D's! Way to go, David! I just love his smile!

lisset said...

cuhrayzee. but what an outcome! painless and so much cheaper than a procedure. also, love the snowball tombs- great idea!!

3WimmerBoys said...

Are you kidding me? You kept saying you thought everything looked fine, I guess you should be trusted after all. That was a long day for nothing, but still a better outcome than having to fix it. I hope you had a good trip!

Sunshine said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay! He does have such a cute nose...wouldn't want to mess with that.