Do you live within a two mile radius of our house? If you do, you know what I'm talking about. Oaks had an encounter with a black and white striped kitty cat tonight.
Ops! I guess it wasn't a kitty, you guessed it, a stinky skunk. Have you ever been sprayed by a skunk? We've personally never been this close to the odor before and, oh my goodness, that is a seriously potent smell. Mark kept commenting that it smelled like a chemical. Right after the spraying Oakley ran back into the house, clearly spooked. The odor actually hung like a mist in the house. He spent about half an hour in the tub with Mark.
We got a bottle of Joy from the neighbors and washed him down three times with that and then wiped him down with cider vinegar. He still smells. And, the house still smells. I've used up a whole bottle of Febreeze, spraying everywhere.
A funny side note, James was the only child awake when this all happened and he was complaining profusely about the smell. In all the commotion, I hadn't noticed he had disappereared. He came into the bathroom where we were working and announced, oh, this is so much better!! We turned to look at him and he has a plastic bag completely over his head, tied in a knot. Argh!! Safety first, that's our motto. I was going to snap a photo, but I thought maybe it wasn't a good idea to photo document that. I've gotta draw the line somewhere.

13 comments:
Bart and I would have loved to have been in your house! We are total freaks and love the smell of skunks!
But... maybe not that close up!:0)
I learned from Curious George that tomato juice takes out the smell...
(funny that my word verification is smelazi?)
I always think the skunk smell is like burnt rubber. It is ICKY. You'll have to tell me how long it takes for the smell to be gone. How good is your dog to just lay in the tub awaiting his "spa treatment"? ha!
Wow! That's no fun!
So, everything on the internet says that tomato juice does not work, good thing since I don't have any tomato juice in my food storage!
Heather, you should come on over, I think the smell is not going away for awhile. Even better, why don't I just send my dog to your house!! :))
OH NO!! that Stinks... ha ha, I couldn't help myself. I'm glad you had the picture, otherwise, I sort of imagined Mark actually in the tub with Oakley :) Robie said he actually smelled it last night all the way over here.. eek!
oh, and Heather and bart.. I don't even know what to say about that :)
I think the bag over the head just might have sent me into fits of giggles. I love James!
Oh man, just remember you love that dog! How sad!
We get lots of stinky skunks
around here getting run over
all the time. You'd think
they would learn how to cross
the street if this evolution
thing were really serious...
All I know is that you don't
want to run your tires over
any of that mess, we've never
tried tomatoe juice on it.
I hate that smell! Good Luck!
I am soo sorry!!! My dad was sprayed by a skunk as a child and tomato juice calmed the smell, but didn't take it away. his clothes were burned.
What?! Curious George lied to me? I feel so...betrayed!
(let us know what worked!)
It is now Friday, how is the smell? Poor Oakley, I am sure it was not fun for him either. . .
Post a Comment