We've got the whole food object lesson thing going on right now. For Family Home Evening we made cupcake tombs. I don't want to come across as disrespectful or irreverent towards the sacred holiday of Easter, but my kids have a difficult time with heavy concepts like resurrection and the like. So this activity was right up their aisle. We hallowed out the snowball cupcakes and put a little note folded up inside that read, "He is not here. He is Risen!". Then we put the cupcake on a bed of grass(tinted coconut flakes) and placed a stone(a mini vanilla wafer) in front of the "tomb". As they worked on their creations we talked about the importance of Easter and why we celebrate.
It was a simple activity, but they really loved it. And hopefully, they will remember the meaning behind it all.
On a similar creative note, Melissa gave me this idea for a treat. It a Rice Krispie treat with grass(that clever tinted flaked coconut again) and jellybeans on top. It turned out real cute and I hope my Young Women will enjoy. Thanks Melissa!!

5 comments:
Great idea!!! I was wanting to do something fun with my sunbeams class this Sunday, but I couldn't think of anything. Now I know exactly what to do!!!!
That's a great idea! Good way to make it fun, it's a hard concept to explain to the little ones. Another thing you could do is put little pieces of paper with scriptures about the story of Easter into the plastic eggs along with the ones with candy for an egg hunt. They do that in Primary here.
What a clever idea - that's not an easy lesson to teach!
I love the FHE idea! I am going to have to steal it.
Super cute! I think I will use that idea, if you don't mind! It's too clever!
Post a Comment