Sunday, July 27, 2008

A New Sheriff in Town: Carnival Style

The kidlet's behavior has a hit a low around here. Parenting books are piling up on my nightstand. So, we're trying something new in the house today. Due to previous Sundays that have ended badly, I'm up for a change. I pulled out the roll of carnival style tickets I bought six months ago at a garage sale and started up "The Ticket System". Doesn't that sound official? Today my plan is to get everyone bathed, clothes picked out and bags packed before noon. Then I'll serve lunch.(That sounds much more formal than it really is.) Then, we will brush teeth and finally put on clothes. ETD for church: 12:45pm PST. They will be rewarded with tickets to be redeemed for fabulous prizes at a later date. Will it work? I'm not totally sure. But, maybe I won't be crying and/or screaming on the way to church today.

P.S. Booked tickets for anniversary trip to NYC last night! Can't wait! Details to follow....(should I be nervous we're flying on 9/11? No!!)

8 comments:

Bryn said...

Keep me updated, I like your system. Why is it so hard when church is at 1! I don't understand it but every Sunday, I sound like a drill sargeant, "GO, Go, Go, in the car!"
Congrats on booking that trip. I am excited for you!

The Family Rasheed said...

why is it that Sunday is such a struggle? It's the same deal at my house. New York sounds very exciting!!!

jessica said...

I love tickets. Best of luck. The Yes/No card works really well too, especially on older kids. I wish my kids were old enough for tickets!

smiths5 said...

Lol, I use tickets for my kids at work. They all go into a jar for a drawing at the end of the week for a gift card. THat way, I can be cheap and just do one prize stringing them along the way:-) As a therapist, I would tell you that anything that rewards positive behavior is good, but you should also include your kids when working out the rules and prizes so they have input and a chance to create the system. This way they will be more likely to adhere to it. I have to use the sticker system w/Savannah. She has started throwing such raunchy fits since Simone's birth. She earns a sticker each day (that she puts on a chart she made)for good behavior. Anything naughty... no sticker that day. When her chart is full she gets to go to Target and pick out a new My ePets ...works wonders!

Amber said...

Good job mama! Way to take control back. How does it slip away from us in the first place? Still trying to figure that one out myself. Alright, NYC?? Sounds like your headed for your own Bachelorette vacation. Take the fantasy suite invite!! Take the fantasy suite invite!!

ferntyler said...

Amber is cracking me up - I'm so excited for you for NYC and I'm curious how your system worked out (extra tickets for sleeping in church?) I need to work on a system around here, although I have a feeling if I got the kids to bed a little earlier every night that would do wonders :)

Browns said...

Good luck with the tickets. I hope it works for you. We use marbles at our house. The kids collect marbles each day for good behaviour, and lose them for bad behaviour. We use rewards at the end of the week for a certain number of marbles earned. Works wonders. (it's the only way I keep my sanity, especially when all 7 kids are here!)

3WimmerBoys said...

What a fun mom you are!