Sunday, December 19, 2010

On the Bright Side

Is it only appropriate to blog when all's well in life? That's been my dilemma for the last little while. Part of me felt no need to burden others with the difficulties of life, until today when it was off-handily mentioned by one sister that blogging is part of our family's history. How can I leave out important events in our lives just because they might not be the happiest parts? That being said, our family has been overwhelmed by sadness since Thanksgiving due to news about Mark's Mom, our dear Nana, and her cancer diagnosis. It's amazing how quickly life and perspectives can change. We all know our time here on earth is limited, but when that time frame is narrowed and made specific, it brings the reality to center stage. We feel blessed to have this time to spend with Nana, knowing that we need to appreciate each moment we share together. We have lots of happy memories with Nana and I feel so blessed to be a part of her family. Over Christmas we will have time to spend with her before she starts treatment.I feel honored that I can be there when she begins radiation. For as many years as I've been a radiation therapist, I've never had a close family member receive treatment. Now that the time has come, I am so comforted to know that I can be involved(in a very limited way) and that she is being treated where I was trained and by one of my mentors. She will receive the best care and that is comforting. Our prayers are for a peaceful journey ahead for Nana!
Nana loves music. Whenever she is here and I am trying to put the kids to bed, which can be a chore, she will always sit down at the piano and play peaceful music. It is the best way she could help. It doesn't usually affect the children's behavior, they are so stubborn, but it calms me. And for that I am grateful! Nana always loves to hear the boys play piano. Here they are performing at their piano recital this month. They did great!
 

 

6 comments:

tawnya said...

Laura - I'm so sorry about the news. I hope you all are able to make the happiest of memories over the holidays!

Melanie said...

I'm sad to hear about Mark's mom, but I'm grateful that you will be able to spend time together over Christmas.

Anonymous said...

We have been thinking so much about your family this holiday season. We are praying for peace and comfort you Nana and your family as well. Wish we could give you a big hug! Love and miss you. Cherish your time together.

Mommy Kiwi said...

Thank you for the beautiful post, sister dear! It brings me great comfort to know that when I let go of mother's hand as she walks through the doors for radiation, you will be there to take it and see her through. I love you.

Kim W said...

I don't know why your blog is always delayed. I just got this on my wall. I'm really sorry! What a heart break. How are things going? We were just talking about you the other night and I realized how long its been since we talked. Miss you! Hugs!

Angela Henderson said...

I am so sorry for this sad time in your family's lives. It is the hard times that defines who we are! Love you guys.