Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Memories (aka insane ramblings of a teenage girl)


I pulled out my old journal today. The journal started on January 4, 1989. Yup, 20 years ago. Talk about high entertainment value! I was immediately brought back to those days of teenage woe and glee. I didn't remember myself being on such an emotional roller coaster during those years, but clearly age has dimmed my memories. Boy was I up and down! It was hilarious to read about the petty fights between my girlfriends and the multiple random crushes I had on boys. I had also totally forgotten that it was in fact me who broke up first with my first "boyfriend". Of course we made up and broke up about a dozen times in a 8 week period, but still, let the record stand that I officially did the first dumping!! Go figure, I have long remembered it the other way around. (Good thing I kept a record, huh?) I couldn't help but wonder(worry) about what it will be like when my children reach adolescence. Will they be as lovesick and emotional as I was? Oh dear. Heaven help me. I'm sure they will. I better keep this journal handy for reference.
The nachos are my tribute to my favorite teenage Sunday meal. Some families have roast every Sunday. Parms have "the brown meal" every Sunday. My Dad always had soft boiled eggs and toast after church. I always made nachos for myself. Today I made them for my family. It was a simple, pleasurable meal, made infinitely sweeter by the emotional stability 20 years has earned me.

15 comments:

Julia Godfrey said...

Hey girl:
We usually have breakfast
for dinner on Sundays.
You know... scrabbled eggs,
bacon, waffles, grits, fruit or
sometimes biscuits.
Ben just moans...

tawnya said...

I love the simple for Sundays: sandwiches, breakfast, eat what you want when you want! I take the 'day of rest' very seriously!

And what is a 'brown meal'?

Heather said...

Laura - you are so funny and YES we are definitely in for it when our kiddies reach teenage years! Yikes!

jessica said...

Here's to the memories. We were mac & cheese folks. I'd pitch a fit if my mom suggested roast.

emily waters said...

i seriously still have all the old notes we wrote back and forth to each other in school. back before the texting. i was just telling my young women that we used to have to WRITE notes to each other. they think thats so funny

Laura said...

Emily???? Bradley?

Kim W said...

For some reason your posts don't show up on my list until days later. Weird! How can you question if your kiddos will be as emotional? Isn't James already into 'love'? You have lots to prepare for!!! Ha!

I'm curious too, what's the 'brown meal'? I know they usually do brownies, but what's the dinner part?

Dana Fallentine said...

The Nachos look great! Please list the recipe! Leilani always makes them with only cheese... I need to add tomatoes and other great tasting stuff on for her! Ideas?

Alex said...

Makes me hungry for nachos right now !
Luckily we are only teenagers once !

3WimmerBoys said...

My kids love nachos on Sunday night. Those look delicious! I have always gotten a kick out of "the brown meal". Love it!

ferntyler said...

ah, a good brown meal reference. You are a nacho connosseur and those do look delicious - maybe then Lauren would actually eat more than just plain chips?

The Family Rasheed said...

those nachos look yummy!!!

Holly said...

I suddenly became very hungry.

A Call said...

20 years, wow, has it been that long? While I too loved the nachos, my favorite part is your last line. Miss you.

diane said...

We have deamed this year Crockpot Sunday...we'll see how it goes.

May I send Brynn over for a little empathy session with you when she gets dramatic? She's been pretty ramped up with finals. It will quiet and then reappear when grades are posted. I keep trying to remind her that the world will not end if she goes to BYU Idaho. Jordan was offered a half scholarship but turned it down as he didn't want to go to freakin Idaho...it still makes me giggle that he is in Boise.